Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Glyndebourne Backstage Tour

Haywards Heath and District Probus Club Glyndebourne Backstage Tour

A most enjoyable trip took place on Friday 21st February 2020, organised by our member, Eric Bassett.

The tour started with coffee and a pastry (included in the ticket price) and provided a glimpse of world-class opera in the making. A very knowledgeable guide took the group on a 90-minute walking tour exploring Glyndebourne and discovering more about the fascinating history behind this famous opera house.

During the tour we visited the theatre, backstage, Production Hub, dressing rooms, archive, rehearsal spaces and the historic Organ Room. 

One of our members wrote:

“The area behind the stage is absolutely enormous - far bigger than the auditorium itself. There are two rehearsal rooms behind the main stage with a full-size and sound-proofed stage. The scenery is hauled up and down into the roof space by ropes, a popular job with ex sailors. The current project is to have this facility controlled remotely. There is a prompt corner just behind the stage from where the whole performance is controlled via intercom telephone with push button lights etc.  When there is a full orchestra in place, the front of the stage is lowered 9 feet to create the space, and even then some of the orchestra are under the stage. We went into the new building where there are people working on scenery costumes etc. One of the fascinating things we saw was wig making using human hair - individual hairs being attached one at a time.

Glyndebourne employs about 150 permanent staff and about 600 on extended temporary contract and at peak times about another 750 temporary staff. Needless to say, the whole operation has a significant economic impact on the area. Interestingly, the Glyndebourne wind turbine provides their power requirement for much of the year with excess power going to the grid, which compensates for usage at peak time.”

Another member wrote:

As the newest member of the Haywards Heath & District Probus Club, I have been very pleased indeed by the friendly welcome which I have been given, and I can say that the visit to Glyndebourne, which was our first excursion with the group, was very much enjoyed by both my wife and myself. This included a most interesting and informative tour, which even saw us all standing on the famous stage and with no doubt many of us having to resist the strong temptation to give a quick rendition of “Nessun Dorma” – or in my own case lowering the tone with a rousing burst of “Knees Up Mother Brown”. A very interesting and well-organised afternoon indeed, and no doubt as enjoyed and appreciated by all other attendees as much as it most certainly was by us.

Haywards Heath and District Probus Club Glyndebourne Backstage Tour